How to get more website traffic? Local SEO is the answer for many. Beating local SEO small business competitors is simple, but can be time-consuming. Here are some tips for increasing your website traffic with these strategies:
- Get incoming links to your website and citations that your competitors won’t make the effort to get.
- Get authority links from locally relevant sites with the location in the domain. Local blogs, non-profits, review sites, university sites, are all good examples of the kind of sites we want links from. If there is a location in the domain, we want a link from there.
How to Get More Website Traffic with Local SEO
See if these are your answer to get more website traffic. Local SEO can build relationships as well as links to your site. Remember to comment on your experiences!
Local Blog Comments
Find local online communities and bloggers that are related to your industry that have your location in their domain name. No spamming just because a blog meets these criteria! The point is to get involved in local community discussions that you can make valuable contributions to. Of course, this is how to get more website traffic from exposure of your ideas to new audiences in addition to get links back to your website. Use both in-text links, when available, and links from your bio profile. Don’t worry if the blogs’ links are “dofollow” (meaning that it shares link juice). “Nofollow” links help build authority, too, your website’s and your own expert status in your field. Here’s some tips to find relevant blogs to comment on:
- Make a list of “YOUR LOCATION” and “YOUR KEYWORDS” to target.
- Use Google Blog Search and these example queries(create your own versions once you see how they work):
- blog “keyword” inurl:”YOUR LOCATION”
- inurl:blog “post a comment” -”comments closed” -”you must be logged in” “YOUR KEYWORD” “YOUR LOCATION”
- inurl:”YOUR LOCATION” “comment” -”comments closed” -”you must be logged in” “YOUR KEYWORD”
- Remember to adjust the queries with your own negative keyword. Like I live in a town called Katy. Any query I do that involves location usually requires that I add “-Perry” to avoid my search results being filled with references to the pop star.
- Note a few blogs you should be reading and that you can comment with valuable insight on.
- Create a Google alert for your useful query so you can be notified of any new blogs that become available.
- When you leave comments, create links in the post back to your website home page, interior web pages, blog posts, and Google+ Business page using anchor text (the text of the hyperlink) related to your website’s keywords, when that feature is available.
Local Guest Blogging is How to Get More Website Traffic
Now that you found local blogs related to your business, use the same list of searches with “location” and “keywords” to identify local blogs that you can post articles on. Sharing your expertise is how to get more website traffic and keep them there! Target blogs that have a higher readership than yours and are on a domain with higher authority. Because you are also local, you can probably start relationships with the other bloggers in person. Reach out to them to see what types of topics would appeal to their readers. You will get exposure to readers and valuable links back to your website content. If you are having difficulty finding blogs that accept guest posts, try the ideas here or a version of these searches:
- inurl:”YOUR LOCATION “YOUR KEYWORD” “guest post”
- “YOUR KEYWORD” “write for us” – example: “foreign translation” “write for us”
- “YOUR KEYWORD”” “guest article”
- “YOUR KEYWORD” “become a contributor”
- “YOUR KEYWORD” “guest *” inurl:blog
- “YOUR INDUSTRY” intitle:expert interview
Note a few good guest post prospects and then contact them. If an email seems the most prudent first step, remember to comment on a particular blog post that you found interesting or helpful, be brief, state what you want, and provide a link to your blog. There are lots of resources about how and how not to pitch for a guest blog, so do your homework. Once they accept your offer, carefully review their requirement s and give them the best content you have…oh, and get those links (best way to get your links link you want them is to provide the html versus a text document, plus that saves them time).
When the blogger allows it, include your business Name, Address, and Phone Number (NAP) in the guest to boost the value of the post to your domain. By doing this, you get a citation which is becoming an increasingly important ranking factor.
Boost Collaboration with Bloggers
Trying to guest blog but not getting their attention? Especially when you can make connections in person, these tips can be powerful to build those relationships.
- Offer to provide a discount (or something free) for the blogger’s readers. Use a promo code if you are an eCommerce business. If you are a brick-and-mortar, then have the readers mention the blog name.
- Offer the blogger a free product or service to generate interest and links.
- Offer a blogger a custom image such as an infographic, comic, graph, or photo related to their blog topic or readers’ interests. You’ll get their appreciation for your originality and helpfulness (they don’t have to hunt for an awesome image for their next post), plus you will get a link for attribution of the image.
- Plan a contest and get bloggers involved. Maybe a video contest for the best sports fan targeting all local business bloggers or sports-related bloggers. There are many affordable options for running video contests these days and they are highly shareable in social media. It is a fun and engaging topic for bloggers to share with their readers.
- See a problem on a blogger’s site? Learned a new tip that will help a blogger? Take the time to help a blogger fix a problem, do something new, or get more visibility for their blog. There is no guarantee, but you will likely be rewarded with a link and a mention of your business…and your expertise! If not, then you made a friend, who will likely help you one day.
For more ideas on how to get more website traffic with local SEO, check out this post on creative ways to build local SEO and your community at the same time.
What are your ideas for boosting your expert status and building the authority of your website domain? Comment below. Need help with implementing the advantages of local SEO for your small business? See more on local SEO. Then, give us a call!